This special event marking our 50th webinar and the end of year celebration. We will be holding a webinar combined with face-to-face meetings in several EA offices in:
- Sydney - Boardroom
- Melbourne - Leadership Hub
- Adelaide - Grant Hosking Room
- Hobart - Leadership Room
- Canberra - The Black Mountain Room
- Newcastle - Boardroom
Title: The ‘Smart Enough’ Factory. A digital journey and IoT Case study on Sutton Tools
Presenters: Dr Steve Dowey, Technology Manager, Sutton Tools
Description: There are shared global challenges to the adoption of Industry 4.0 that affect businesses on all steps of the digital journey. These are cost of implementation, a shortage of skilled employees, and a concern about security. Although these problems are global, the solutions need to be local and targeted. The ‘Smart Enough’ concept uses a data driven manufacturing and management approach to enable the promised benefits of IoT and Industry 4.0 for companies that might be struggling with implementation. Dr Dowey will share and demonstrate the technology that is deployed at Sutton Tools for its take on Lean IoT.
Smart Enough is:
- Management data driven - enables transparency and immediacy of processes.
- Leaves control and action to the experts and systems. Feedback loop is closed by the operator / manager.
- Uses micro-service architectures. Complements but doesn’t need an Enterprise Service Bus or SOA. Works with legacy systems.
- Applying a lightweight sensor network overlay onto existing systems, leveraging web technology, RAD tools and open source.
Who should attend: The talk is for SME stakeholders, lean manufacturing practitioners and anyone with an interest in IoT in manufacturing.
About the presenter: Dr Steve Dowey is the Technology Manager at Sutton Tools and a Senior Research Fellow at RMIT University working with the Australian Defence Materials Technology Centre. His current projects include ‘Additive Manufactured Tooling’, ‘Tooling for Robotic Applications’ and applied ‘Industry IoT’ in collaboration with DMTC. Steve’s Industry 4.0 focus is on the ‘The Smart Enough Factory’, where the issues of legacy systems (cost), security and STEM skills are addressed to ensure the benefits of Industry 4.0 can reach the Australian SME.
When: 5:30pm AEST (Eastern Seaboard) for 6:00pm start on 12 December 2017. The presentation will last 30 minutes followed by question time and networking. Concludes at 7:30pm.
Where: The presentation by both webinar and face-to-face in the following locations. After registering you will be sent details of how to logon if attending by webinar. Rooms and locations are below. Please RSVP if attending in person by emailing email@example.com
- Sydney – Boardroom, Level 3, 8 Thomas St, Chatswood.
- Victoria - Leadership Hub, Level 31, 600 Bourke Street, Melbourne
- South Australia - Grant Hosking Room, Level 11, 108 King William Street, Adelaide
- Tasmania - Leadership Room, Level 5, 188 Collins Street, Hobart
- Canberra - The Black Mountain Room, Engineering House, 11 National Circuit, Barton
- Newcastle – Boardroom, Suite 3, Tonella Commercial Centre, 125 Bull Street, Newcastle West
Cost: This presentation is free to members of Engineers Australia (EA), the Australian Computer Society (ACS), the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and IEEE. Just provide your membership number during registration for the event. The cost for non-members is $30.
How to register: Please register on the Engineers Australia event system, link above. Note, to register you need to have a free EA ID which you can get on the first screen of the registration page. Take note of your ID number for future events.